ABVI offers a one-hour training session designed to educate and bring awareness regarding blindness and visual impairment. The training aims to provide factual, relevant information to break down assumptions and stereotypes.
During this training session you will learn:
- Definition of legal blindness and visual impairment
- Eye conditions and their causes/treatments
- How to act as a sighted guide to someone who is blind or visually impaired
- Guide dog information and things you should do when encountering one
- Things to do & not do when meeting someone who is blind or visually impaired
Exercises using total occluder and other vision loss simulators are also included in the curriculum to enhance the learning experience.
Sensitivity to Blindness is open to ABVI employees, family, friends, volunteers, and the general public as part of our community education programs. There is no fee for the training.
To learn more about this program, please call (585) 232-1111.